The Competitive Enterprise Institute has released it's 2013 10,000 Commandments report and the highlights are... interesting.
by Richard Sutton
The CEI "10,000 Commandments" report evaluates the state of regulations in the U.S. as they effect business and the economy. Regulations are rules created by unelected bureaucrats which have all the force of law. The Highlights are a new low.
• The Anti-Democracy Index, the ratio of regulations issued by agencies relative to laws passed by Congress and signed by the president, stood at 29 for 2012.
• U.S. households “pay” $14,768 annually in regulatory hidden tax, “absorbing” 23 percent of the average income of $63,685,
• The federal government’s share of the entire economy now reaches 34.4 percent.
• For the first time in history, the estimated cost of regulation exceeds half the level of the federal budget itself.
• Costs of regulation remain largely hidden from public view, which makes regulation increasingly attractive to lawmakers.
Of course this all reminds me of Will Roger's statement "Just be glad you're not getting all of the goverment you pay for."
For the full report visit http://cei.org/
Socialism: A System of Hubris and Avarice - Austin Raynor
Environmental Tyranny - Austin Raynor
Congress Approves Another Reckless Spending Bill - Austin Raynor